POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Request: deform : Re: Field_deform (was: Request: deform) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 18:13:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Field_deform (was: Request: deform)
From: Rune
Date: 11 Jan 2001 11:48:43
Message: <3a5de3eb@news.povray.org>
"Chris Huff" wrote:
> "Rune" wrote:
> > I thought this method could work for meshes only, since
> > it would do moving of vertices.
>
> Then it should probably be a specialized feature of meshes,
> not of a "deform" feature...

Whatever. Call it what you want... :)

> hmm, am I the only one who has noticed there seems to
> be a lot more mesh ideas/patch work being done lately?

And you think it's a coincidense?

> > The relative type would be useful for things like bone
> > systems, where every part of the mesh is deformed, and
> > the original locations of the vertices should not have
> > any affection at all. In this case you would want to
> > make sure that your entire mesh is enclosed by the
> > fields.
>
> It might be a better idea to just implement a bone system.
> Maybe a new kind of mesh..."boned_mesh"...would be the
> easiest way to do things.

I don't think that's a good idea. You said to me recently that you preferred
the flexible feature that could be used for many things over the specialized
feature. And I agree. To create a whole new object type just to be able to
pose figures seems odd to me.

> I'm not sure the "deform fields" idea will be very easy
> to use...

There are a whole lot of features in POV-Ray and MegaPov that are not very
easy to use. Usually people learn to use it eventually, especially with the
help from each other.

> but inverse kinematics features could be worked into a
> boned mesh feature,

I've been working with inverse kinematics for a while now, and if there's
one thing I've learned, it is that no general all-round IK solution can be
made. You can make so many different IK systems with different ways of
handling things. One system would never be satisfactory for all tasks. Some
3D software has acceptable solutions, but then, they have GUI too, and that
a completely different situation.

> > I still don't know what would be the best way to define
> > the fields with. Patterns, blob-like fields, maybe both
> > options, or maybe something entirely different?
>
> Patterns would be the most flexible way. Remember, you can
> make blob-like fields with a pattern, too. You might even
> be able to use the blob pattern. :-)

You're a bit late. I already mentioned that in my first message.
Did you bother to read that message?

:)

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated January 6)